Learn how to create a new field on a record to track new pieces of information. Follow the steps below, or check out this video for a 4-minute walkthrough.
To create a new field, first navigate to an object's setup page and then locate the "New" button in the "Custom Fields & Relationships" section. The path to the object's setup page varies by object:
- To add a new field to the Account page, navigate to Setup > Build > Customize > Accounts > Fields.
- To add a new field to the Contact page, navigate to Setup > Build > Customize > Contacts > Fields.
- To add a new field to a custom object, such as to the Deal, Fundraising, Investors, or Pipeline pages, navigate to Setup > Build > Create > Objects, and select the target object by clicking on its name.
In the example below, we create a new checkbox field on the Account record.
- Navigate to Setup > Customize > Accounts > Fields.
- Scroll down to the 'Account Custom Fields & Relationships' section and click the 'New' button.
- Select the appropriate field type and click ‘Next’.
- Enter the field label and click ‘Next’.
- Select the Profiles for whom the field needs to be editable (‘Visible’) and viewable (‘Read-Only’).
- Click ‘Next’.
- Select the Page Layout(s) on which the field needs to be visible. Click ‘Save’.
- You're all set! The field is created for the Account object.